His teacher is simply the best. She is so incredibly effective as an educator, and in appreciating students' differences and celebrating them. She wrote this to me in an e-mail, "Connor is an amazing boy who has intelligence and gifts just bursting to let loose given the correct environment. Our society does not always have the intelligence it needs to celebrate the gifts of others. I love learning from Connor and am honored I get to have this year with him."
She has such a calm demeanor and really uses each student's strengths to help them achieve all they can. Connor always tells me how sweet she is, and how she is the perfect teacher for him. She has really brought out a love for learning in him. He daily comes home and tells me what he has learned, a cool story his teacher shared with the class, a fun new idea about something. He is so fortunate to have her as a teacher.
At conferences earlier in the school year, his teacher told Brian and I that Connor far exceeds most of his classmates in three areas: confidence, empathy, and understanding of right and wrong. She said he always has something to contribute to the class discussion, and that his classmates recognize that he's one of the top readers and want to be his reading partner. If you know Connor's history, you can understand why I literally wept tears of profound joy at this. And to think there was a time we were concerned he would ever even communicate with us... I can't even explain how it feels to see him now and think of where he was and the concerns we had. I get misty-eyed even thinking about it.
A few more notes from Connor's 2nd grade year thus far:
- At the beginning of the year, each kid had to fill out an "I'm special" form. Connor was struggling with what to write, so his special ed teacher tried to help him by asking him, "what makes you, Connor Howell, special?" He thought a moment, and said, "I know! My last name makes the same sound as a wolf!"
- His special ed teacher is the same one who worked with him in kindergarten (but not 1st grade). So obviously he has changed a lot in that time. She said that he told her at the beginning of the year that he remembered her from kindergarten. And then he told her that he had a very tough time in kindergarten b/c he was afraid of kindergarten, but that he has changed and isn't afraid anymore and loves school so much now.
- He joined the Chess Club at school, and loves it. They meet once a week after school for most of the school year to learn the rules and play the game. He's really grasping the game well, and loves to challenge Brian to play at home for practice.

- His school offers a book club for students, called the Cocoa Club. Connor joined the October Cocoa Club, which involved getting a copy of Beezus and Ramona, reading it at home, and for two Fridays before school, meeting with the librarian at school and other Cocoa Club members to discuss the book and drink hot chocolate. Brilliant idea! Of course, as a member of at least one, sometimes more, book clubs for the past 11 years, his momma was loving this! He enjoyed the experience.
- I think there has been a huge academic leap from last year to this year in what the students are learning, and he is thriving on this. He has loved learning way more science (his favorite), geography and social studies this year. He tells me all about many of the U.S. Presidents, moon phases, continents, and such. One of his favorite things thus far has been learning the life cycle of a butterfly. Oh yes, he loves this. They class adopted caterpillars, which they watched form chrysalises and emerge as Monarchs, which they then released. Connor's group named theirs "Mystery Guy Dog Head." And that wasn't even the craziest name. And they took a field trip to the Butterfly Pavilion, which Brian was able to chaperone, but it was while I was in MN, so no pics. His class made noodle life cycles (different pasta shapes used to represent the different stages, so cute). He literally counted down the days until he could bring it home. Such excitement.

- He is head over heels in love with another 2nd grade teacher. I mean we are talking serious hot for teacher material. He wants to marry her. I kid you not. He always tells me how she knows his name, how beautiful she is, how sweet she is, how he wants his picture taken with her, crazy! And to be fair, she is beautiful. Yikes!
- Connor was named Student of the Month for October for expressing himself respectfully! That was awesome. He was invited to an award luncheon with the principal, teacher and other staff, and was given a certificate (I blocked out the principal's and teacher's names for safety). He was beaming when he brought this home. And wow, so was I. Again, this is my Connor we're talking about! I am so so so proud of him.


- While Connor is an excellent reader, he definitely has a preference for non-fiction. Something his teacher and we are working on is increasing his joy of fiction reading.
- He loved learning the Pledge in sign language- don't mind the attitude he briefly tosses to his sister.
So very pleased with his year thus far.
6 comments:
Go Connor! So many awesome things he has done this year and it just started!
Yeah! So great to hear his year is going so well. A good teacher makes ALL the difference. For real. I esp. love that he is on the chess club and his book club sounds fantastic - I wish our school did something like that! It was fabulous talking to you yesterday. Too bad real life has to get in the way sometimes of our conversations!
First, way to go Connor! Such strong work. I also like the chess club/book club ideas. Finally, I was watching the video of Connor and when the phone rang on the video I went and tried to answer mine! I was so confused for a minute. Then I realized it and had to LOL.
Such wonderful news about Connor! He is doing SO well!
Great work Connor. Nolan loved your signing video! And thanks for teaching me all about the moon! You rock!
Always amazing to see our kids reach their moments when they turn from a caterpillar into a butterfly. It happens over and over throughout their lives. What a joy to see and hear that happening to Connor! May there be many more days to celebrate. :)
Post a Comment