Friday, November 5, 2010

5 months, The Help, and serious sleeves

Mason was 5 months old on Nov. 4. I grabbed a quick pic of him in his car seat as we were running out the door somewhere. Then I realized how fitting it was to get a car seat pic, as the poor child definitely spends more time in his car seat on a daily basis than any of my other kids.
Love him love him LOVE HIM! Love how he experiments with the range of his voice, how he is rolling more and more (except for the safety implications of this), how sweet he is, how much he loves to always be where the action is, how he pacifies himself with his thumb from time to again (again, this is cute, but if it becomes constant it will not be so cute), how he has been finding his toes, and those big blue eyes with ever lengthening and curling lashes. What I do NOT love is this:
that is one serious cowlick! People constantly comment about me combing his hair to look like this. Let me make this perfectly clear: I.DO.NOT.COMB.HIS.HAIR.LIKE.THIS. It does this no matter what I do. And sure, it may be cute now, but what is this going to look like down the road, I ask?

Mason has started on rice cereal. Those first few bites must confuse the heck out of a baby. And for a 100% breastfed baby, formula mixed into rice cereal can't be that scrumptious. Soon we'll add some fruit. That should help. Overall, though, he seems to grasp the concept fairly well.

Last evening, I hosted the book club discussion for The Help. I had read this a year ago with my other book club, and loved it even more on the re-read. What a book! In typical fashion, I got a bit carried away with my planning. But that book is just seeping with culture and food, and I got swept away. I spent a couple of days baking, and made: cornbread muffins; pralines; a caramel cake; and of course, a chocolate pie. The pie recipe was from the author herself; it was the recipe her grandmother's maid in Mississippi made all the time. Very cool! And no, I did not authenticate the pie in Minny fashion. ;) I made everything from scratch except for the pie crust, which I already had on hand.

I decorated the table in gold and lavender, colors from the book cover, as well as a can of Crisco, a Medgar Evers autobiography, Co-Cola, and a magnolia flower (the state flower of MS). Really, I had so much fun doing this!

We had a fabulous discussion. One of the questions was about Skeeter's crazy hair contraption, and what crazy things have we done in the name of beauty. I didn't have anything outrageous, but did talk about skipping school as a senior one day with a friend and lying in the sun next to a lake for the entire day to achieve some good color. If you know me, you already know this did nothing but give me 2nd-degree sunburns and an obvious giveaway that I had skipped school. The thing that made my mom the most mad was that my tomato-red skin was going to clash with my purple prom dress that she was hard at work making for me.

Well, the sunburn faded in time for prom. But even if I had been glowing red, no one would have noticed it, for the size of my sleeves overtook all else. My mom (who is an amazingly talented seamstress) got a bit carried away in making sleeves for my dress. When she finished them I was taken aback for their sheer volume, but felt bad not using them and hurting her feelings (she and I have since had some good laughs over these sleeves).

So, I was trying to describe these sleeves to the book club girls. Today, I decided that since a picture is worth a thousand words, I dug out the photos, and without further ado, I present you super sleeves:

It's OK, go ahead and laugh. I do! I mean, have you EVER? Isn't there some rule that says sleeves shouldn't be twice the size of one's head???

17 comments:

Ashley said...

OH MY GOODNESS! Those are FABULOUS! you weren't kidding when you said your head looked like an orange between two watermelons! lol love it!

The Frosts said...

A. Mason could NOT be cuter. Cowlick and all! I love him for you!

B. Your book club looks fabulous. So jealous! I'm thoroughly impressed with your spread. THose pralines look divine!

C. Holy crap on the sleeves. I burst out laughing when I saw them. Reading the story, I'm thinking, how bad could they really be? until I scroll down and see the pics. Your dress is really quite pretty but you can barely see over the sleeves in that top picture. What a great story!

Ash Savage said...

Those are wicked awesome, Melissa! I had something completely different in mind, but those definitely take the cake. Thank you for sharing!

Amy said...

Again, above and beyond! What talent throwing parties. And I wouldn't change that cowlick! That is something unique to Mason. LOL on the sleeves. I seem to think I've seen that explosion of tulle before-always a fun memory.

taradon said...

The sleeves! I remember the first time we heard the story and and saw pictures of the sleeves. Happy memories. :)

Looks like a great time in the works for book club! (And I'm sure they're grateful that you went less authentic on the chocolate pie - LOL)

Erica said...

Oh MY GOODNESS- those are unbelievable!! Thanks for taking time to dig the picture out and all let us chuckle. Fantastic!! By the way the night was so fun. You worked so hard and it was wonderful! That little guy is precious!!! I think I see a bit more of Lucas. He is a doll with that dark hair and BLUE eyes. Watch out girls!!

The Crace's said...

I so wish I could come back every month for book club!! The sleeves. Awesome.

Unknown said...

You throw one heck of a book club party! How fun you made it!! And I love Mason's cowlick! May kids all have them and they are fun! Also, the sleeves are fabulous! They could be coming back you know! It that last picture, they kind of look like wings!

Lori said...

That dress is GREAT! Even better that you posted it years later. I have been meaning to read that book and now I know I have too. Thanks for the post. And Mason is stinkin cute!

We are 3. said...

Ok, I cried because I laughed so hard! Thanks for the comedic relief! :)
Mason is a love!

Pink Mom said...

OMG I laughed seeing those sleeves.

Susan said...

HIL.AR.I.OUS! :o)

Colleen said...

Oh wow. Those sleeves are amazing. Love it.

andrea said...

Is it wrong that I really like the sleeves? I like them a lot actually, LOL.

Mason is SO cute. I love the little cowlick!

Kristi said...

That Mason... he is just precious! Those little round cheeks, I just want to eat 'em! The cowlick is part of the cuteness!

Good job on all things book club - wow!

The sleeves are funny, yet fabulous? Why does part of me love them? PS. How cute were/are you?

Carli said...

You are certainly the hostess with the most-est! Thank you for all the amazing effort you went to to host us the other night. Great friends discussing a great book -- doesn't get any better than that! Love you!

P.S. You weren't kidding about the sleeves. But you totally rocked them. :)

Thekla and Grayson said...

Wow, I love those sleeves. I do not love your one cookie looking cow pie-ish creation. Mason is absolutely adorable! I think that cow lick could definitely work for him when he gets some hair in. My friends kid had that and it looked way cool when he grew up.