The gap from Lucas to Mason is the largest gap between any of my kids (almost exactly 3 years). No double diapers this time. Everyone else can dress themselves, potty themselves, get their shoes on. So when we go somewhere I pretty much just have to get Mason ready - and me, of course. It's rather dreamy.
Then throw into the mix the fact that the older kids have been extremely helpful - especially Connor. As of yet, they have all accepted Mason seamlessly, as though there was never a time he wasn't in our home. This has simplified things A LOT. They are all crazy about Mason; I frequently hear "Mom, Mason is so cute!" "I really love Mason." "Can I hold Mason?" and other such sentiments. Connor loves to check his diaper for me, give him a pacifier, hold him. So many extra helping hands!
The greatest thing I've done this week was teach Connor how to serve breakfast for everyone for those mornings I'm bleary-eye tired (there have been many of these). He can mix up a pitcher of juice, slice up some banana, and serve up a mean bowl of Cheerios. And he loves the extra responsibility. Really, it's a win-win. Unless I'm also feeding Mason while I'm on the couch half-asleep and the kids are eating, and then it's a win-win-win.
My biggest challenge is sleep. Mason is actually a great baby, usually happy unless he's tired or hungry. He's not up for long periods of time at night, but he does wake up every 2 1/2 or 3 hours, sometimes more frequently. So three straight weeks of no more than 3 hours straight of sleep takes a toll! But we all to through it. And I am totally able to grab afternoon naps often while Lucas naps and Connor and Isabel have quiet movie time.
Other than that, I'm feeling pretty good. Mason is a super nurser, probably the best nurser of the bunch. And have I mentioned what a love he is? Isabel calls him a "little ball of love." Which he is. I love how he already responds to everyone's voices, and looks for our faces when we are near him.
I'm not a great photographer, and find taking good pictures of a newborn to be a challenge. But here are a few more-




I can't believe I was worried about adding him to the mix. He completes us perfectly.
10 comments:
I'm so glad you're all adjusting and enjoying Mason so very much. He really is such a beautiful baby! Sorry about the sleep issues. I think it's just unavoidable in the newborn phase. It was that way with all 3 of mine, anyway.
"ball of love", so cute!!
Wow - I am tired. Look at how many typos are in this post! Think I'll keep them for posterity's sake. :)
Amen! I am glad things are going so well. The transition from 3-4 wan't too bad at our house either...makes me wonder how 4-5 would be. :) Mason is beautiful--what a lucky mama.
What a sweet addition you have! I think your family is beautiful and the fact that you have someone helping make breakfast is so great!
He's so cute. We love looking at how dark he his. Can't wait to meet him in person. I am glad this has been a smooth transition, on all accounts. And the older kids sure make a big difference, I must agree.
Very nice! I like the photo of the brothers. I also like the summer hair cuts. (I just cut Trevor's short like that-one less thing to think about for a while)
Way to go Connor! I love it when the older ones actually "help!"
I'm itching to smell some newborn babyness... I will email you this week to see when I can come (sans my kids).
You're doing great Mama!
(And I agree that the transition from 3 to 4 wasn't a big deal... thank Heavens!)
I love that you have the big kids helping - I think it's so important that kids can take care of themselves.
Last night my youngest was begging for me to have another baby - no way!
So glad all the kids are loving the new addition! I'm sure that makes the transition much more fun!
So glad that is how you feel, its amazing how quickly you can fall in love with them. I love this stage when they are so cute and cuddly.
Post a Comment