1. Care Kids
I took Connor and Isabel to a Care Kids class at the hospital where I'll be having the baby. It's a class for 3- to 8-year-olds to help them learn to prepare and care for a new sibling. It ended up being a really fun evening, and they enjoyed it. They made a craft project about being a big sibling, learned about baby safety and choking hazards (this part was super helpful; the instructor told them that anything that can fit inside of an empty toil paper roll is too small to have near a baby; we will totally be using that model), read a book about new babies, got to hold "babies" and change their diapers, had a snack and watched a movie about bringing a new baby into the house, and then toured the L&D/postpartum unit, where they got a surgical cap, mask and gloves. Connor thought these were the bomb, and wore them the rest of the evening. On the ride home, he said, "mom, when we get home do you think dad is going to get confused and think there's a real doctor in house?" Isabel said her favorite part of the hospital was the big glue stick she used on her art project. Um, OK. But overall, they had a fun time and I think it helped them get even more exited for a new baby brother. Oh, and that doll lying in the bed is "dolly," who had a baby in her tummy and then the instructor pulled the baby out and showed the "umbilical" cord. Her explanation of the baby coming out through mommy's "magic door" threw a wrench into my simple "cut mom's tummy open" mantra.









2. Massage
A kind friend offered to take my friends for a few hours one day, and I was able to use that free time to get a massage and meet Brian for lunch. It was heavenly! The first time I had relief from my excruciating lower back pain in a while. Unfortunately the reprieve didn't last night, but I loved it while it did.
3. Kelley and Leo
Brian's sister Kelley, her husband Leo and their sweet boys Cameron and Parker were visiting from Dallas. They spent some good time with us; we always love having them. Baby Parker was born in January, and it was the first time we had met him. What a love! He gave us a real glimpse into having a baby boy in the house again, and my kids were gaga over him. They doted on him constantly and all wanted to take turns holding him. Lucas kept saying "mom, isn't he so cute?" I hope this parlays nicely into having his own baby brother. We'll see!
All the cousins together. Isabel certainly is surrounded by (a lot of very cute) boys-




One evening we went to dinner with Kelley and family, Brian's parents and their good friends Ray and Val and their 2 daughters.

Ray and Val have 9-year-old twin daughters, one of whom has Down syndrome. She and Isabel got along famously; Maggie was crazy about Isabel and they became fast friends. So sweet!
On Thursday I went to the temple with Kelley and Leo and my mother-in-law Kathy. Three years ago, Kelley and Leo had twins born at 25 weeks gestation. After significant struggles for life, little Cameron pulled through and is now 3 years old, while Ressa lived for 3 short weeks and passed away after getting a deadly infection. May 20 was the 3-year anniversary of Ressa's passing, so we went to commemorate her short, sweet life. It was a touching, emotional, yet peaceful experience. I am grateful for forever families.


4. Last day of preschool
Isabel finished her first year of preschool! They celebrated with a park outing. She has had a great year, learned a lot and made some fantastic friends. She has become quite the social girl, and loved every minute of it.





5. Field Day
Connor had Field Day at his school, which is always a rather chaotic but fun morning. His favorite activity is belly bumpers. He asked me if I wanted to do that one with him. Can you just picture it? :)



This game involves standing in a pool of water and picking up as many marbles with your toes as possible and placing them in a Frisbee. Weird, yes. Fun, yes.

Connor and the art teacher, Ms. Hilliard. It apparently is a well-known fact at school that Connor and Ms. Hilliard have mucho love for one another. I think she is the reason he says he wants to be an artist when he grows up (and a fireman and a scientist).

Water balls-

Tug of war-
At the end, a firetruck comes and sprays a huge spray for the kids to run under. This is complete madness and I didn't get a picture.6. Dance, dance, dance
Isabel has had a number of commitments this week to get ready for her recital: pictures, tech rehearsal, dress rehearsal and regular class. These have all been held at different times, thus requiring a lot of running back and forth. But, oh, she has loved every minute of it. The big recital is tonight, and she is eagerly anticipating it. She thrives on the stage, a true performer who takes the recital very seriously. Here's a sneak peek:


On top of it all, we've had a couple of birthday parties, and Brian has been at state track for the past 3 days from morning 'til night, which is why he is noticeably absent at most of these events. I have done a significant amount of kid juggling, and want to say a huge thank you to everyone who has kindly helped me out this week.
6 comments:
Busy Busy but of so fun!
Wow I'm tired just reading this post. That dance costume is divine - she must love wearing it.
That is a crazy week. I don't know how you keep up with it all. It all looked fun! And seeing your little girl all dressed up was great. She is adorable!
Oh my delicious costume. I'm glad you have a girly girl for the pink-ballet-tea party-etc. stuff. The mommy doll in the hospital bed is hilarious. --Jen
What an action packed week! I'm glad you were able to squeeze in a massage. The Kids Care classes look like such great preparation -- perhaps you have a future doctor on your hands with that cute Connor!
Such a busy, fun week! I think you would have been great at belly bumpers. :)
Post a Comment