Norway
Our (very white) dinner consisted of Norwegian fiskeboller (boiled fish dumplings), which had a decent flavor but very unpleasant consistency. I'm glad I also made homemade fish sticks with homemade tartar sauce to supplement dinner. I also served mashed potatoes, a Norwegian meal staple. Forgot a vegetable side dish, the dinner could have used some more color. :)
For dessert I made sitronfromasj, a Norwegian lemon mousse with whipped cream. This was very tasty!
We made Norwegian flags
We read this book to learn about Norwegian culture, geography, history and people
and read this book, which is set on a Scandinavian farm
we also read these two books-
and then we made a Viking helmet
and each took turns dressing like a Viking, complete with a brooch as they liked to wear

and then we pretended to sail on a Viking ship and explore new lands (we decided to forgo the plundering and such).We learned about the Viking runic alphabet, and each chose a runic character to script on a rock. Runes were thought to have magical properties, and when carved into small stones, they were used to tell the future, heal the sick, and bless people, places and objects. Our runes say giant, sun and water.

Russia
For dinner I made rice pilaf and chicken ptichki, which was cubed chicken marinated in pureed onion and garlic, salt and pepper, then skewered and quickly fried, then baked over a bed of carrots, celery and onions. It was actually pretty good.
and for dessert, Russian almond cookies. Mega yum. I love anything almond flavored.
I borrowed my friend's Russian matryoshka nesting dolls and we took turns playing with them

We read this book and learned about Russian geography, culture, history, people, language and customs

These were a major hit. Connor said that making Faberge eggs was even more exciting than being a Viking.We made the Russian flag

and read these two children's books that are set in Russia.

We all completely loved these books. They were beautiful stories with breathtaking illustrations, like this
I only have one more country planned. They kids are going to be disappointed; Connor wakes up every day excitedly asking what country we are visiting next.
9 comments:
I just want to say how awesome I think you are!!!
What fun countries! Glad the food worked out ok. How much for a faberge egg?? Are they for sale
Melissa, you are an amazing mom! I feel like I've now had my passport stamped in each of the countries you have toured. I'm with Kristina, are the eggs for sale?
Girl, I've said it before - you're amazing! I can't believe the stuff you're coming up with for these olympics! From the food to the books to the crafts - amazing. I got France done last week and we're doing China tonight and I'm going to try to squeeze in one more before the closing ceremonies but with birthdays this weekend i doubt it will happen. Big, big kuddos to you!
Love all the pictures. I love the one of Connor with his smile showing off his missing teeth, I have a couple of those of Joseph. Such a cute idea to do those little projects.
You are killing me here. KILLING ME!!
:)
All great ideas-viking costume is cute!!
I am in awe of you, Melissa. When I grow up, I want to be a mom like you. :)
I'm so impressed - as are my friends who read your blog. We all vote you as Mom Of The Year!!
Love,
Mom H
Post a Comment