Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Canada and China

In continuing with our study of different countries well-represented at the winter Olympics, here are two other countries we've studied. (France is in the previous post).

Canada
We did Canada during the opening ceremonies. Before dinner, we had a taste test with pure maple syrup versus Aunt Jemima. Everyone chose the pure maple syrup, except Lucas, who preferred the artificial stuff. Then for dinner we had pancakes with choice of syrup, and Canadian bacon.
After dinner we read a couple of books to learn about Canadian culture, people, places, animals and geography-

and we colored Canadian flags. Connor has been extremely into the flag making, it's been his favorite. Isabel opted to just color a picture of Canada, complete with mountains, fish, berries, and the words "Canada" and "Olympics."
then we made a drink called Canadian Pride, which consisted of pure maple syrup, grapefruit juice, and Canada Dry Ginger Ale. It was interesting, but the kids liked it enough to each finish their glass. We toasted the opening ceremonies (my kids are really into doing toasts and saying cheers)-

China
Our Chinese meal consisted of Asian chicken, vegetables and noodles, with egg rolls. We used my jade chopsticks that a friend had brought me from Singapore years ago. Connor is truly the chopsticks champion in our family, it's like he was born using them. Some of the others, not so much. But everyone had a blast trying.
after dinner we read this book-
and then ate fortune cookies

we made Chinese flags and learned what the colors and stars represent-
and read this book to learn a bit about Chinese history, culture, facts, and language-
and learned how to write a few words using Chinese characters. I think Connor wrote mom, sesame, horse and hello. I was rather impressed with his characters!

and we watched a video of a Chinese dragon dance

This has seriously been so much fun for everyone. It's really not been that much work, just a bit of planning. And the kids are LOVING it so much that it has totally been worth any effort I've put into it.

8 comments:

Lori said...

You are so creative! I would have never thought to do something like this! (plus energy right now is a problem too!) Your kids are so lucky to be exposed to all these different cultures in a fun way!

Paula said...

What a cute idea, love all the pictures and the food looks good enough to eat.

Lyndsey said...

You make me want to be a better and more creative mom. I love what you do...so since Patrick is going to Japan next week, I am making a japanese dinner and we are learning more about there culture. So Zoiee will know more about where her daddy will be. Thanks for the idea. Keep em coming!!!

Amy said...

I think I gave you those chopsticks! I love China and the Asian cultures. Learning about Canada is fun too. I like the idea of making the country flags with construction paper! I'm going to copy that one!

taradon said...

We've also done themed meals the last few nights. (Though I haven't been as good as you at pulling everything else together - I'm impressed!) We did Chinese food last night and the night before was a Canadian delicacy my brother learned to love on his mission there... poutine. (That would be fries with cheese curds and brown gravy.) =)

Kristi said...

You're killing me here... I love it!

Jen said...

Will you just cut it out with the fun & cute ideas!! My head is going to explode with all the ideas I get from you. Way to make it happen. Your kids are going to have such happy childhood memories.

Pink Mom said...

What a fun idea! Our kids would totally love this.