Sunday, January 11, 2009

Things that make me smile

Sometimes it's the simplest things that bring joy. A few things from the past few days that made me smile:

1. After my Primary activity yesterday morning (get-to-know-your-teacher breakfast, I am over quarterly activities), I was exhausted and still needed to menu plan and go grocery shopping. When I got home Brian had already menu planned for the whole week, did the list, and even organized it by department. I am so tired of menu planning, any break is welcome!

2. Projects. I love creating things, it is such a feeling of fulfillment and a nice distraction. I just haven't had a lot of time for crafting the past couple months with all I've had on my plate. But I did make a few things over the weekend.

These scrapbook-paper covered wooden C and L for the boys' room. Loving these papers, now need some shelves for their room:

For Isabel's room, I took a Styrofoam ball, cut it in half, and covered it with pink felt flowers, fastened to the ball with silver brads. Felt is fun, I'm trying to find other uses for it. How cute is this?


Also for Isabel's room: In a box in the basement I found this old painted wooden box I got from Bath and Body Works when I was in college (so about 13 years ago or so):
I repainted it, stenciled a paisley on it, and found these whimsical floral stems, which have different beads and these shiny ovals on them:
And I loved the way that Christmas-y tin star fit into my mantel, so I decided to make a permanent one.

3. Target = love. I get lost in Target. I am smitten with two new lines, Fresh Picks and Sweet Set (Valentine's stuff). I bought two of the placemats, and totally want some plates, cups and more. Swoon.


4. I won a blog giveaway contest on Monique's blog, so exciting! I never win stuff. The prize is a blog makeover and cute Valentine's stuff. So watch for my new look soon! Thanks Monique!

5. Two words: American Idol. The only show I really make time for. I am so hoping for a great season, the last couple of have been a bit lackluster.

Have a good week! My huge project that has consumed me the past couple of months is due tomorrow, and I think the stress level is about to subside significantly. My heart will be so happy.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fun updates. I love the the projects. I especially love the letters fun idea.

Lara said...

Love the letters for Connor and Lucas! I really like all of the fun things you are doing in Isabel's room- I need to do more for Grace and Emma's room!
I am looking forward to American Idol to start, I hope they have some great music this year.

Kristina said...

Cute projects. The letters are really nice. I also love the beaded thing. I am going to try to watch my first season of American Idol. I'll have you and Lara to help me!

taradon said...

I love the letters! I may have to try that project myself... the last Melissa project I tried turned out well. :) And this must have been the weekend for sweet gestures from husbands. I posted about a similar thing on my blog this morning.

Anonymous said...

That little flower in the vase is too cute! I immediately thought of all things Dr. Seuss.

The Frosts said...

Love your happy list! I love all your craftiness - great makeover on the container for I's room and I love the flower ball you made. It reminds me of something from a Dr. Seuss book! And what a nice hubby for making your meal plan. It is such a pain having to make dinner and keep everyone happy.

I'll try to call you today about your blog!

(ok, I just read the other Dr. Seuss comment - too funny, I hadn't read that before my own comment!)

Janae said...

A blog makeover? Yours is adorable. Have you seen my sad "straight from the template" blog. I'm a little blog challenged! I love the idea of things that make me happy lists.