Thursday, July 26, 2007

Riding in cars with Connor

Connor is currently obsessed with stoplights. I have a real back-seat driver on my hands. Here is an actual conversation in my van the other day while driving with the three kids: (M is me, Melissa or mom; C is Connor: I is Isabel. Lucas was simply a silent observer).

C: What color is the stoplight?
M: Red
C: I'm not asking you, I'm asking Isabel. Isabel, what color is the stoplight?
I: Red
C: Good. That's right, Isabel. It's red. And what does a red stoplight mean?
I: Yellow
C: No, it means stop. What does a yellow stoplight mean?
I: Silence.
C: It means go slow. Mommmmmmmmm - stooooooooooooooooooooop! The light is red!!!!
M: Connor, the stoplight is a half mile away. I don't have to stop until I get there.
C: But the light is red!
M: Yes, but we aren't at the stoplight yet!

And round and round it goes. I can't even begin to describe what right on red does to him. We're also working with him on understanding when we follow the color of the arrow and when we just need the regular circle light to change. It can be rather exasperating.

No comments: