Sunday, July 15, 2012

Minnesota Day 2

We headed north from Iowa, stopping at the massive Cabela's story in Owatonna, Minnesota. The kids were amazed by all the animal displays.

It was so nice to finally be up north after two days of driving, and to see so much family! And the kids were overjoyed to be out of the car and play with cousins. We spent the evening outside, combining popsicles and a fire, swinging in the hammock, and doing sparklers.






I got to meet my 7-month-old niece, Eloise (Ellie), who is such a sweet baby-

The kids always get excited about the toys at G&G's house, they are such old-school toys. It brings back memories to see them playing with toys I remember playing with.


It's always so fun to go to mom and dad's, it's like a retreat in the woods. Mom and dad have worked so hard on their yard, and it looks lovely-






Brian and I stayed in the "moose room," named for the various stuffed and wooden moose mom has in the room. The view from the window is lovely.


That night, the 3 older children had a backyard campout in mom and dad's camper with some cousins and my sister Kristina and BIL Ted. They were a bit revved up, to say the least, and had a difficult time going to sleep.

This is the text exchange between Kristina (K), who was in the camper, and Brian (B), who was in the peaceful, quiet house playing cards with me and my parents. I had to record this; we all were laughing pretty hard over it:

K: Isabel says she has to pee again. Legit?

B: I guess. She just did though

K: I know. I told her she just went and to go to bed. She went to bed and hasn't said anything else. If she asks again, I'll send her in. I'm kinda mean.

B: Yes you are

K: Connor thinks he needs an allergy pill.
I told him you'll bring one if you want him to have it.

B: Is he breathing ok?

K: Yes. He said his eyes felt allergies but not his breathing.
Lucas wants to sleep in the house.

B: Tell him if he comes in here, he will be in a room all alone

K: He's going to try again. ;)

B: Ok :)

B: Grandpa says he needs to go potty out there

K: Isabel and Connor are now both saying they have to go to the bathroom. I was firm and said if I hear anyone else, they go inside. Hope that is alright.
I said if they really had to pee they should go inside and stay there. If that is too harsh, you come get them and take them in, So I don't give in.

B: Good work, soldier

K: It is easier since my kid has been asleep for a long time and since I know you guys are strict on bedtime. They may hate me tomorrow, but only if they're too tired to see straight!

B: Let them hate you!

K: And eat cake!
Of course, they all may be delirious from over-heating in fleece pjs, in a sleeping bag, in an 80 degree camper.

B: There is room in here if you want to escape!

K: I've thought about it. But it has been silent for several minutes. I do feel kind of bad since I am sweating and in light pjs with no blanket. But no one complained of being hot. They'll most likely survive, especially since I didn't strangle anyone. Connor was worried about what to do in an emergency and if he'd get the treat if he woke others up. :) good night!

B: Good night!

And so we finally settled in for our first night.

1 comment:

Colleen said...

Ha! Loved the text exchange. Kristina is hardcore! :) I love your parents' house. It's such a lovely little haven. Especially your mom's gazebo. Heaven.