Monday, February 21, 2011

Another goodbye

Last week we received word that Brian's Grandma Bonnie Howell (his only living grandparent) had fluid in her stomach, which turned out to be cancer cells, they thought from lesion on her liver where the cancer was originating. She lived in Kansas, and had an appointment in Denver scheduled for today for further testing and a treatment plan. On Saturday we got a call that she was going downhill quickly and was hallucinating and they didn't think she was going to make it until Monday. We were planning for a possible quick trip to Kansas to say goodbye, but within hours, she was gone. We can't believe how quickly she went.

We had last seen her in October when she came for a visit, and seemed to be doing well. You just never know. So we are preparing for yet another funeral; this is the 3rd grandparent we have lost in just over 8 months. Brian now has no living grandparents, and I have my 2 grandmothers yet. 'Tis a sad turning of the tide.

To complicate things, I have been fevered-, chilled-, achy-, fire-in-my-throat-so-bad-I-can't-swallow-or-talk-without-excruciating-pain, headache-so-bad-the-slightest-noise-practically- reduces-me-to-tears sick. Pretty much on the couch since Saturday. It's been a little rough.

Forgive my whining. I will be better soon I'm sure, hopefully in time for Grandma's final goodbye on Friday.

Grandma with Mason in October. Oh how she loved my blog. We e-mailed on a regular basis, and she just adored the children. I know she is rejoicing in seeing her husband who died when Connor was a baby, and her sister Ruth who died recently. Love you Grandma!

4 comments:

Pink Mom said...

I am so sorry for your loss. It was a blessing she got to meet all of your chidren.

Erica said...

Sounds like Jamey and I- we lost 3 grandparents in a year. It is hard to lose the ones we love, but the sweet reunion always helped me through. I know that they are with us- helping us and supporting us. Get better soon- I am so sorry that you have been so sick!!!

Unknown said...

So sorry for your loss Melissa. I just got home from a funeral myself this past weekend. Life can sure have it's ups and downs. Hope you can feel better soon and remember all the good times with your grandma.

Kristi said...

Oh, I'm so sorry. Death is never easy, even when we know it's the best thing for them.

It's a different phase of life, isn't it? I live in dread of the next phase - losing our parents.
Oh, I'm just a ray of sunshine, aren't I? geez.

I hope you are feeling better - heart and soul. A cold is a tough thing to deal with when you have a heavy heart. Hugs to everyone at your house.