Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Other highlights

More highlights from last week while my parents were visiting-

- My mom came to my 29-week checkup with me. I thought she'd just get to hear the heartbeat, but my doctor decided to do a surprise ultrasound, so she got to see babykins too. That was very fun. Everything looks great: baby and calendar both measured 29 weeks, but my stomach measured 32 1/2 weeks. Surprise, surprise. I'll have to share some of the "fun" comments I've been receiving about my baby bump. Then we went shopping and out to lunch - lovely lady time.

- My parents were able to spend a morning volunteering in Connor's classroom. Connor was beaming with excitement, and couldn't wait for all of his classmates to meet his Minnesota grandparents. They were able to help with reading groups, and then Mrs. W invited them to stay for recess.

- Isabel attended her friend's puppy-themed birthday party. By all accounts, she had a marvelous time. They each got puppy-ear headbands, puppy noses and whiskers, dog collars, and dog bowls. They even got to eat their cake and ice cream out of dog bowls on the floor. This went over very well.

- Connor got to challenge grandpa and grandpa to a few rounds of his favorite game, Sorry.

- My mom and I attended an adult and child CPR/choking class. My friend Susan, who is in a neighboring stake, literally saved her 10-month-old daughter's life recently when she choked badly on a bead. Susan is an EMT, and literally had to work on her daughter for about 5 minutes - while on the phone with 911- before the bead came out and paramedics arrived. Super scary. So she talked to her husband, who is the director of the ER of a nearby hospital - and had his trained staff come and teach a CPR course for a Relief Society activity, and Susan invited me. It worked out great that my mom was in town and was able to come with me. So I'm having my 4th child and finally took a CPR course, but I'm going with the proverbial "better late than never" mantra. And my mom has 9 grandchildren and counting, so the info was great for her too. I totally wish I would have brought my camera to get pictures of us working on the CPR dummies. I was especially lovely in my full glory. You'll have to use your imagination.
- So long Big Blue! Lucas got his cast off (that time went by at sonic speed). My dad came with me, and Lucas did great. He didn't mind the loud sawing so much, but was in a lot of pain when it first came off, thanks to some stiffness. But we got him walking around after a bit, and he was able to (gingerly) walk out of the doctor's office on his own, and then around Target where he got some special treats for being such a trooper during the entire cast ordeal. The break didn't affect his growth plate, but because the break was so high on his tibia, there is some concern that the bone might start to grow crooked, so we have to go back in 6 months to make sure the bone is growing straight.

- We celebrated Big Blue's departure with a pizza party and an evening swimming at our stellar Rec Center. Lucas was so happy to be able to go in the water again. We had so much fun that we were at the rec center until after bedtime, a rare treat. Connor is truly a fish, and has become rather fearless in the water. Isabel, too, has made great strides. We love the rec center

- My mom made all new pillows/pillow covers for my bedroom makeover. She is a much better sewer than me, and had brought her top-of-the-line fancy-dancy machine. I am thrilled with how they turned out. I'm in the process of making wall art to go above my bed, so I'm only giving a sneak peak of one of the pillows. Love! Thanks a million mom!

- My parents were able to watch Isabel's dance class. They are sad to have to miss her recital next month, but were pleased to at least see her in class. My mom was flooded with memories of years of watching her daughters (all 3 of us) in dance classes. And Isabel does fabulous in her class. I'm her mom, so I can brag (and my parents also pointed out) that she is super flexible, graceful, strong, and tiny - a perfect combo for a tiny dancer! Oh, how she loves her dance class.

In addition, my mom scrubbed my house for me, dad took Isabel on a fun library/puppet show outing, and they took the kids on walks, outside adventures, etc. and gave me some nap time, and just generally lightened my load while they were here. So grateful for them, and for loving us so much. And so grateful Brian continues to lighten my load. I am getting ready to not be prego anymore.

10 comments:

Paula said...

Love all the pictures, I am so pleased that Lucas was able to get the cast off, what great news. His leg looks really good. See you soon.

Kristi said...

fun updating... you have had a fun week with your parents.

I think learning CPR is so smart. Good call.

Love the new pillow!

Yay for no more cast! That is big news.

Good luck with your final PG weeks. It will be over before you know it. Hang in there!

Karl said...

Good stuff. Can't wait to see you room. I LOVE makeovers. --Jen

Unknown said...

Wow, your parents sound amazing! Can I be your sister? I am so excited to see the new wall art you are working on! You always have fabulous ideas!

Pink Mom said...

What a great visit. Grandparent love is so great to watch. And I LOVE the pillow. It is definitely making me think of a bedroom makeover.

Ashley said...

Can i just saw that i LOVE those pillows! To have something so beautiful to look at every night before falling asleep must be heaven! and i'd love to hear the comments made about the tummy. I was amazed at the thoughtlessness of everyone, mostly MEN, while i was prego! So sorry!

Lyndsey said...

I am coveting your pillows especially the fabric. Just thought I would let you know. THey look wonderful.

Amy said...

I took CPR in college and barely remember. Thinking to get a refresher now. Great times with the family! I miss our rec center in Denver. Nothing up here comes close or costs too much $$.

Marie said...

So glad your parents came and you had such a good time with them! GOOD GOLLY!, those pillows???? I CAN NOT WAIT to see the rest!
Isn't that saw thing they use to cut off the casts the craziest thing? We were all very intrigued by it while we there, having the doctor push it on our skin over and over!

Diana Beck McCarty said...

Uh, wow! You guys are stinking busy!!
Love LOVE the pillows