Friday, April 23, 2010

Earth Day and a sweet note

When Connor asked if we could clean up trash around the neighborhood for Earth Day, how could I say no? He was really excited about it, and the rest of us caught the clean-up bug too. So after school on Thursday, we grubbed up, grabbed some trash bags and gloves, and went to four areas in and around our neighborhood. It had been a stormy, rainy day, and we were happy that the rain stopped just enough for us to do our work, although it was rather cold and windy. I was really impressed at how dedicated the kids - all three of them - were to picking up trash; they lasted a lot longer than I would have guessed. I've never seen people get so excited to spot trash! We actually collected quite a bit.

After our clean-up, we had a dinner/movie party where we watched a couple of our Planet Earth DVDs (we have the entire Planet Earth and Blue Earth collection)-
and then we sweetened the night with the Earth Day globe cookies I made. So they won't win any beauty contests, but they worked.

Sweet Note
The other day, Brian pulled out a box of memorabilia from when he was young, and showed its contents to the kids. Connor especially was fascinated by the things from his dad's younger days. So much so, that the next day Brian found this 2-page stapled note on his computer desk. And I do believe it was the cause of Brian's subsequent beaming face.

4 comments:

The Frosts said...

You are too cute for words. LOVE your cookies, Connor's adorable note to Brian and that he wanted to pick up trash. I was going to copy the trash pickup but it was pouring rain here last night! Great work!

Amy said...

That note is precious!

Kristina said...

Great writing Connor. And the cookies did look like globes!

Kristi said...

Your energy never ceases to amaze me. You are a tireless teacher, and a blessing to your little family.

Oh, and that note - SOOOO precious!