Thursday, November 10, 2011

Etiquette dinner

Manners are becoming a lost art. Or so it seems. I decided it was time to up our etiquette game. I think my children do fairly well with their pleases and thank yous, but there are other areas in which we could stand for some improvement.

I announced to the children one day that we were going to have an etiquette dinner, and to watch for an invitation in the near future. One recent evening I made invitations and rested them on top of their pillows, and as they went to bed that night they discovered them and tore them open in sheer excitement. The joy level certainly could have rivaled that of Christmas morning. FOR REALS.

The boys were required to escort the girls to the table, and then to seat them.

I set the table properly (I generally do, but not with the extra forks and spoons and salad plate), and we taught/reviewed to put our napkins in our laps, and the purpose of each plate/utensil. We reviewed manners, what to do if you're at someone else's house or a restaurant and you don't like something on your plate (hint: it doesn't involved yelling YUCK and spitting it out ;) ). We reminded them how to say "excuse me" if adults are talking and you'd like to get their attention. We talked about boys should treat girls when they start dating someday (because really, that will be something we deal with before we know it).

I made grilled chicken over bow tie pasta with this fabulous creamy garlic alfredo sauce, garlic cheddar biscuits and steamed veggies. We practiced cutting our meat quietly and neatly. It requires such intense concentration, you know.

After Brian and I went through the list of etiquette topics we wanted to cover (which were all received with rapt attention I must say), I served creme brulee with chocolate.


After dinner we had a family dance party to some tin pan alley music. It was really fun.

The children thought this was the most fun thing EVER. It really was a simple effort but hopefully has some lasting effects. We will definitely do this again. It is really important to me that my children know how to act in different situations and always have their manners about them. And that boys know how to treat girls with respect, and Isabel knows how she should be treated.

I went to the dentist today, and while the hygienist was cleaning my teeth, she asked, "are you the mom that did the etiquette dinner for your kids?" I was so confused for a minute. She then told me that when Isabel had been in two days earlier for her cleaning, she had told the hygienist all about our etiquette dinner. So it clearly made an impression!

I am happy to report that we have had an increase in good behavior at mealtime. And in addition to clearing their plates without prompting, the children now thank me for the meal. Most of the time.

6 comments:

Colleen said...

That is such a cute idea! If only all moms cared about basic manners!

The Frosts said...

What a great idea! I love seeing the boys escorting the girls. I love the little details too - the invites are great. I will have to steal this idea! You're such a fun mom!

Kristi said...

I've said it before, I'll say it again: You are THE Mom! What a great idea!

Danny,Vycci and Kids said...

Fun and effective...love it!

Can we get together sometime? Hope you are well.

Ashley said...

GREAT idea! Gotta try it at our house! :)

Beckie Smith said...

Melissa,
I love to read your blog. You are so creative and fun. I also enjoy your positive outlook. Thanks for sharing! Beckie