Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Back to school 2010

As quickly as it started, summer break has vanished (but not the heat, it's stifling today!). Connor started 2nd grade today. He had some nerves last night, which we worked through, and this morning he was all smiles and excitement and confidence.

We did our 3rd annual mom/Connor back to school shopping and Red Robin dinner date
We did our "hugs and kisses". The hugs are pretzel hug treats for lunch, which the kids loved making-

The kisses are where we read The Kissing Hand-
and make our own kissing hands to tuck into backpacks to always remember "mommy loves me, mommy loves me."

We went to back to school night, where Connor found his desk, filled it with supplies, and proudly showed it off to his family-

and met his teacher, Mrs. Randolph. By all reports, she is one of the best teachers at the school. Highly educated, very motivated to understand students' individual needs and use them to help students be the best they can, calm, kind-hearted. We have not heard one negative thing about her, and I think she is going to be a fabulous fit for Connor.

First day of school!

Can't wait to hear about his first day! I believe he is going to have a wonderful year. He's a great kid. Go Connor!

Isabel is not pleased to have missed starting kindergarten this year; but when the cutoff is Oct. 1 and your birthday is Oct. 11, them's the breaks. She will do another year of preschool, which starts next week, plus dance again. She will be more than ready next year, as she's already reading quite a lot and spends most of her days reading, writing, coloring, gluing and the likes (and talking - one thing she's going to have to work on. She is one bonafide motor mouth).

Thanks to a genius idea by my friend Erica, Lucas will be in a weekly playgroup this year with 3 other boys ages 3 and 4. They get together once a week from 9:30 to 1:00, and get to bring their own lunches, and we rotate houses. He started this morning, and had only been talking about it for weeks; he is over the moon about bringing lunch in a Cars lunchbox in a backpack. It's a great group of fun, well-behaved, nice, cute boys. He loved his first day, and by all accounts, they all got along famously and were super awesome.

Here's to a great 2010/2011 school year!

8 comments:

Erica said...

I hope Connor has a wonderful day at school today! The playgroup was fabulous!! The boys played so good together and I think it will be a successful year!

Kristina said...

Glad that day went so well. Nice Ocean Eyes shirt! What a handsome young man. I am glad playgroup went well, too. Can't wait for ours to start!

Anonymous said...

What an awesome day of first! Sounds like it is going to be a great year.

Ashley said...

I love your before school traditions! Poor little Isabelle- she'll be teaching everyone in her preschool group, i just know it! And that is a fabulous idea to get those boys looking forward to something and keeping them entertained by each other! here's to a great school year for you guys!

Danny,Vycci and Kids said...

I was so proud of myself this year (you'll have to read my blog) and then I read your blog. I guess you've got me beat at the whole stay at home mom thing. My kids wouldn't know what to do if we made treats before the first day of school. They are used to crazy stressed out back to work mom on the first day. Well they did see a little different side this year. It was fun anyway. You're awesome. :)

The Frosts said...

Your BTS traditions are fantastic! I feel like I missed the boat a bit this year coming home from vacation at 10 p.m. the night before the first day. I love that you and Connor have such a fun first day tradition! Sounds like you're going to have a great and busy school year. I love the standard playdate idea. I might have to try that out for Miss A! Can't wait to hear how your year goes!

Jill said...

I saw Connor has Mrs. Randolph. You will love her! She was so great for Cole and really goes the extra mile for her kids. She even sent Cole a couple of cards this summer, just to let him know she was thinking about him. I just loved her!!! Have a great school year.

The Hardie Family said...

I love your idea about the Kissing Hands book. I love that book and we read it often. I might steal your cute hugs and kisses and hand in the backpack idea. It's so sweet! I love your blog!