Thursday, March 18, 2010

Broken

On Tuesday evening, Lucas suffered a broken leg when Connor somehow landed on him on the trampoline. I could tell right away something was not right. He screamed whenever he moved his leg, couldn't stand on it, cried/acted in pain for a while.

Fortunately, Children's Hospital recently opened a brand-new location 10 minutes from our house, and that's where he ended up. After X-rays, they discovered he has a fractured tibia, just below the knee. He is in a splint from thigh to toes with some cast material, and cannot walk at all. He's had some pain, and we are keeping it bay with alternating ibuprofen and tylenol. When he cries out "still hurts, still hurts!" or "I can't walk!!!" it breaks my heart.

After a day of me carrying him everywhere (which has been excruciating needless to say), he is learning to scoot and crawl around; we are all happy with his new-found mobility.

We have an appointment at Children's orthopedics clinic Friday morning, at which point he'll likely be casted, but we won't know for sure and for how long until then.

He has been a total and absolute sweetheart and trooper during the whole experience. He and I spent 3 hours at Children's on Tuesday evening, arriving home at 10:45 p.m., and he never whined or complained or anything the whole time we were there, except if he had to move his leg. He was patient and darling and melted my heart over and over by saying things like "why is it taking that doctor so long?" and "I see something red in this room, can you find it mom?" and "I'm doing a great job, right mom?" and generally just being his fun, engaging, interactive, fun-to-talk-to self, especially after they gave him some Motrin. That boy has my heart in a serious way.

This was shortly after we arrived home late on Tuesday night, lovely hospital gown and all.

I never should have declared at book club last week that we've never had a trip to the ER or urgent care with any of our kids, never had an ear infection or strep, or anything more than a cold or stomach bug (which even those have been very infrequent). I totally jinxed myself.

4 comments:

Kristi said...

Poor little Lucas! Bless his heart. Here's hoping for a quick recovery. You really can't/ shouldn't be carrying him around... eek!

Life with kids is always interesting. :)

Colleen said...

So sad! I'm glad he's been such a trooper, you definitely shouldn't be lugging him around in your condition!

Danny,Vycci and Kids said...

You're right, you shouldn't have said that out loud...you jinxed yourself. When my niece broke her leg about that age, she didn't complain, but she refused to walk on it and so she reverted to crawling again. Which is totally okay for Lucas to do. Don't over do it...Supermom! :)

Pink Mom said...

Poor little guy! It is so hard to see your kids in the hospital. Good luck in recovery!