Friday, September 4, 2009

Potty, party 1

This is how we spent a good part of our week (yes, that is a *clean* diaper he is desperately clutching with such loving adoration). Must be agony to give up your comfort-
We've had some successes, and plenty of misses (literally). And I have again been reminded how VERY DIFFERENT each child is.

Connor was 3 1/2. My parents came to babysit while Brian and I went to Seattle. They told Connor they would not change diapers on a 3 1/2 year old, and so Connor potty trained for them in about an hour. I felt like like a loser mom. But whatever. At least I came home to a potty trained child.

Isabel was 2 1/2. I let her run around stark naked, and within 3 days she was totally trained - not really even any lingering accidents for the most part.

Lucas has been all over the place. At first being "free" totally freaked him out, and he was so traumatized by his first accident, that he literally sat on the potty for about 5 hours for the first few days. Now he has gotten over that, and has more misses than hits.

I believe in cold turkey. But I also realize that if it just doesn't click here shortly, we'll cash in our chips and try again in a couple of months.

For the record, I have to say, my favorite Lucas response when I ask him if he has to go potty is: "not yet." And when he did have a success, he got so excited and jubilantly exclaimed, "you did it!" Maybe just maybe he recognizes how very challenging this is for everyone.

7 comments:

Kristi said...

lol. You have my sympathies. That picture really is hilarious.

Good luck! All of you! ;)

Kristina said...

Great picture. Even though I haven't done it yet, I agree that each kid really is different. How did Mom do it?

The Frosts said...

Ugh. I HATE potty training. Good luck. Carter was such an easy trainer so I assumed I was a natural at potty training. Go ahead and laugh right now. Makenna was a nightmare and proved me very wrong. Good luck with whatever you decide.

taradon said...

My sympathies are with you, too! We have been really trying with Preston with not much luck. (And with me gone for the last week, I imagine things have really gone backward...)

Amy said...

Wishing you the best in these endeavors. T-man's latest is to LOVE watching the potty flush. So maybe I should talk up how much fun it would be for him to flush for himself. What is it...take advantage now while he's interested??

Lori said...

Abby is not yet trained and she is three! We are going to be hard core working on it soon. I was waiting for her to show she was ready, but I am tired of waiting. Good luck!

Pink Mom said...

I love the picture of him clinging to the diaper!

Just keep thinking about how much easier life will be with no diapers...