Friday, March 2, 2012

Let's get Seussical

"Good morning! Happy Dr. Seuss' Birthday!" Connor said to me when he awakened this morning. With no school plus Dr. Seuss' Birthday, I knew it had to be good.

We started with - what else? - green eggs and ham for breakfast. After breakfast, the children all grabbed one of their favorite Seuss books, and I found them all engrossed in their books. I kindly asked them to sit close together while continuing to read so I could snap it.

Then Brian took the three older children to see the movie The Lorax. I packed them with bags of Hop on Pop(corn) and pink ink yink drink (pink lemonade) to enjoy. Brian had purchased tix the night before, but with all the free 2 year olds who showed up, there were no seats left. So they got a free upgrade to the subsequent 3-D IMAX showing. They really liked the movie. I really like Isabel's upside down glasses.

Michael's has some darling Seuss decor, so I snagged this cute banner. I have my eye on a few more items, but need my 40% off coupon, or else wait for the markdown.

My friends Kristie and Paula and their kiddos came over for the afternoon, and I made some Thing 1 and Thing 2 cupcakes. These were red velvet with cream cheese frosting and blue cotton candy. Fun and easy and cute, except I had to hunt for the cotton candy. I let the kids apply the hair themselves; they had fun doing this.

And some artwork by the children: Connor's interpretation of The Lorax after seeing the movie, and Isabel's Sneetches and Cat in the Hat drawings (which I thought were rather impressive free-hand drawings for a kindergartner!).

3 comments:

Jen said...

Totally fun stuff. I can't wait to put cotton candy on cupcakes, maybe for St.Patty's. Your Isabel is an impressive artist!

The Frosts said...

Of course you're the cutest mom on the block! I did green eggs and ham for breakfast and have another plan for tomorrow. So we're making it Dr. Seuss weekend around here. That art is awesome!

Kristi said...

what a fun celebration! the cupcakes crack me up. love the banner too, and the cute pics of your kiddos reading together. :)