We continued the traditions I've been doing since Connor started kindergarten 3 years ago. It was fun to have Isabel join us this year for the school supply shopping and dinner at Red Robin. The picture is terrible, but the evening was delightful-
We did our Hugs and Kisses, wherein we make pretzel hugs treats (some for teachers, some for school lunches/after school treats). The children made them all entirely by themselves this year-



We read The Kissing Hand, about going back to school, and the kids made their own Kissing Hands to tuck into backpacks to remember how much mom loves each of them-

But after all the anticipation, I only sent one child to school when the big day arrived. Connor missed the first day; he had been sick for days, including 6 days of a fever, and then developed serious breathing problems. I took him in, and after 2 nebulizer breathing treatments and a chest x-ray and a rather worried pediatrician who told me he has a "little wiggle room but not much before he'd have to consider hospitalization," he determined that Connor had a virus that triggered severe asthma problems that developed into pneumonia in his left lung. His oxygen level was between 90 and 91 percent; 88 percent is grounds for hospitalization. After antibiotics and oral steroids and nasal spray and inhaler he improved quickly, thank goodness. He was able to to on the 2nd day of school.
Isabel on the first day of school. It was the culmination of months of waiting. She.Could.Not.Wait.To.Start.School. She reminds me so much of myself; I loved everything about school and just savored every experience. I love watching her start this journey and know she is going to do amazing. Her teacher is really nice, we've heard great things about her. She only has part-time kindergarten, and goes all day M and W and half day on Friday (mornings). I think she would have done great with all day, but what do you do? And not sure why my classroom pics are so blurry-





When my mom was here last month, she brought me a bunch of clothes that I wore when I was younger. As I went through them, I was totally flooded with memories; included in them was the dress I wore on my first day of kindergarten, and the outfit I wore for my kindergarten pictures! My mom sewed all of them; when I was young we didn't go back-to-school clothes shopping, we went back-to-school fabric and pattern shopping. Isabel and I had a blast looking at the pictures of me in the clothes and then she tried them on. I was having trouble scanning these, but you get the idea. Isabel said she loved one of the outfits and wanted to wear it for the second day of school. I said, "but don't you think it's kind of old?" To which she quickly replied, "it might be old to you, but it's new to me!" ***AND FOR THE RECORD, IN CASE OF ANY CONFUSION, NO SHE DID NOT WEAR THESE CLOTHES TO SCHOOL OR ANYWHERE ELSE IN PUBLIC FOR THAT MATTER; WE JUST HAD FUN PLAYING DRESS UP***
My first kindergarten pictures outfit, me and Isabel-

And my first day of kindergarten outfit, me and Isabel-

Couldn't resist this-
And Connor's first actual day of third grade, on the 2nd official day of school. We have also heard great things about his teacher, and I am anticipating a great year for Connor. He is most excited to start cursive writing and has been waiting all summer. On his first day of school they got to write a letter in cursive, and he was so excited. Although I am getting less and less info from his these days; at times it's like the proverbial pulling teeth. When I asked him how his first day was, his response was, "why do you always ask me so many questions about my life?" So I have learned to wait a bit and let him tell me things in his own time. If I could combine Connor (not inclined to share much) and Isabel (oversharer) it would be perfect. Perhaps it will result in a Lucas? That could be determined when he starts preschool in September.




I am thrilled that the school year has arrived.
8 comments:
OK first- you sent Isabel to school in those clothes?? ;) What a brave little girl, she might have words with you later in life. haha Second- I can't believe how much I see of your kids in you in those pictures when you were younger- wow! Third- so happy Connor is better and a hospital visit wasn't required, scary!! And lastly- the not-to-inclined-to-share vs the over-sharer, really to me is the difference between a boy and girl, but hey Lucas might surprise you.
Um, NO, Isabel did NOT wear those clothes to school, she just tried them on for fun! And yes, sharing vs not sharing is very much a boy/girl thing, but I feel like Connor and Isabel are both in the extreme, so I'm hoping Lucas will share more than his brother. But who knows. :)
So glad that Connor recovered quickly enough to attend by the second day of school!
I love those old photos! You were so cute. I didn't realize how much Connor looks like you when you were little!
ACK! Isabel in your clothes might be the cutest thing ever! How fun for both of you. I'm so sorry Connor was sick for his first day. That is rough! Love all your traditions and overall fun. You survived the summer! Take a deep breath...
Love the old photos. I agree, it looks like Connor with long hair--really long beautiful hair. You were a darling little girl. I had that same Holly Hobby lunchbox too.
Loved the clothes! What a hoot. I'm so glad I finally found your blog. :)
What a rough bug for poor Connor. So glad he is doing better and made it to school for day #2. Isabel is pure sunshine! I can just see the joy and anticipation in her eyes. Too fun about the school clothes! Those styles look vaguely familiar.... ;)
Post a Comment