Monday, July 18, 2011

Yee-haw, it's rainin' to beat the band

Seems we have found ourselves smack dab in the middle of monsoon season. And by that, I mean 2 inches of rain in 45 minutes plus hail, thunder and lightening every .2 seconds. You know it's bad when you look out the back door and see this:

So what do you do when heavy storms roll in right near dinner time and last all evening? Well, if you're a Howell child, you throw a rodeo! You ask your dad to give you some (blue?) facial hair, you round up all the horses in the house - and anything else that might be used as a horse - and some hats, and start throwin' down some western twang, and yee-haw, you got yourself one heck of an evening. Oh, and don't forget to give yourself a perfect cowboy/cowgirl name: Cowboy John Stevens (Connor), Paul Bunyan (Lucas... hey, I couldn't quite break it to him that lumberjack and cowboy are not synonymous one with another), and Nellie Sue (Isabel, from our new favorite book that she and I cannot get enough of. It's just a stinkin' cute story about a little cowgirl wannabe who gets a horse for her birthday but isn't too keen on riding a "horse with wheels where hooves ought to be), and the illustrations are just purely dee-lish:

You throw your baby brother into the show, and you end up with something that looks like this:

4 comments:

taradon said...

What fun! We spent the rainstorms staring out at the weather in wonder - so rare to see this kind of rain in Colorado! The kids literally watched out the window the entire time, giving me minute-by-minute updates. "There's a river running down the street!" "Now the tree is bending down to the ground in the wind!" "Now there is hail!" Much excitement. :)

Amanda said...

Looks like fun! I LOVE LOVE LOVE thunderstorms! By the way, thanks for pointing me in the direction of Mel's Kitchen Cafe. I've been enjoying her recipes. Oh, and just FYI, I think it is "lightning" not "lightening." :)

Colleen said...

We only get like 30 second thunderstorms and they're pretty underwhelming. I miss the good midwestern ones!

Kristi said...

Do you like the new house? It looks loverly. I am crazy about summer rain, just not for Lacey's wedding, please.

Your kids are endlessly imaginative and adorable. :)