Sunday, January 10, 2010

Stock Show outing


We've been going to the National Western Stock Show every year since Connor was born; it's one of our favorite family traditions. The kids keep getting more and more into it as they get older, which is so much fun. And after 7 straight years of attendance, we've pretty much established a routine of how we do the show, although there is so much to see and do, we don't hit it all. But we get to what the kids like most; it works fabulously. We always love the chance to celebrate living in the West.

The Kids' Hall is one whole floor of the main expo hall, with tons of hands-on things for kiddos to do; lots of activities to learn about farming and ranching, many animals to see, and some rides.

The bees are always fascinating-

We all love the area about grains, where you can feel all the different grains and learn what foods and items are made from them. We all agreed that the alfalfa was the softest; it was like silk in our hands.

In the Division of Wildlife exhibit we learned about different animals, their furs, and their tracks.
My boy and a big bull-

One of Connor's favorite areas is all the tractors, trailers, trucks, etc - pretty much all things motorized.

Lunch break!

The petting farm is a fave among all the kids, although Lucas was slightly unsure of the animals this year. He took a bit to warm up/not be worried about getting knocked down.
A stop at the Purell station is a must after touching all those animals-

Just a couple of cowgirls (who clearly didn't read the sign!)-
and our handsome cowboy-

Fun stairs-

And we had to see all the livestock, of course-

We ran into our friends Wade and Cristy Hardie - the first friends we made as newlyweds - by the horses, and our kids played together in the hay (gross, and sneeze!) while we chatted.

And some photo ops to wrap up the day-

We couldn't stop ROFL when we discovered Connor in this picture. Funny boy.

What a fun day! And I have to share this... I get asked frequently (seriously, all the time) if Isabel and Lucas are twins. When I say no, they are 2 and 4, people then comment how tiny Isabel is. Which Isabel hates. HATES! But for the first time ever, I was asked if my kids are triplets (to be fair, we were riding the shuttle from the parking lot to the Stock Show, so they were at least sitting). Bu seriously? Triplets? That was a first!

9 comments:

Lori said...

I can't believe I'm the first to comment! It looks like your family had a blast attending this event. I wish we had something like this here. Hope you guys are doing well!

Pink Mom said...

How fun - it looks so much like when my family goes to the state faie.

Paula said...

I get asked if my twin girls are twins all the time, and they really are twins. Oh, the things people say. Cute pictures.

Anonymous said...

Triplets, come on silly people! Glad you all had fun! Too funny about the "no pictures with hats" sign!!

Erica said...

Looks so fun- I've lived here my whole life and I've never been. I really need to take the family and go. Someday that little Isabel will be happy about being 'small'. :)

Danny,Vycci and Kids said...

Thanks for all the pics. That way I can live vicariously through you. We usually go every year also. But the dates just weren't matching up and the price to go just seemed to be too much this year with a long list of needs for the new baby. Walking around is not even my favorite thing right now. Being pregnant is not kind to the body. So, we'll save our tradition for next year. But I enjoyed seeing all the fun.

Kristi said...

Awesome! What a fun way to spend a January day. You got some great pictures. :)

Ashley said...

What a fun tradition! Love all of the pictures! Shocked anyone would think Connor and Lucas could be the same age. people are so funny and don't think before they speak!

The Frosts said...

Looks like so much fun - as usual. I esp. love the cowboy hat pictures. You still don't look very pregnant to me. What's up with that?!