Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Domestic divas, and other scenes from the week

In a fun coincidence, Isabel and I both happened to receive fabulous aprons from friends for our birthdays last month (thanks Jen, and Leah's mom Kristie!). Isabel loves to help me in the kitchen, primarily with baking, as that produces sugar-laden results; she is truly the sugar fairy in our house. I really loved baking when I was younger too (she totally gets her sweet tooth from me). So we are loving our new aprons!

On two related notes...
1. The other day, Isabel sneaked into the canister that houses my sugar; this was evidenced by the rim of sugar granules that surrounded her mouth. At first she vehemently denied the accusation, but when Brian pointed out the evidence, she confessed. We asked her how much sugar she ate, and she said, "just one." A likely story. But what can I really say? When I was young, I used to sneak into the real estate office in the Thunderbird Mall in my hometown and steal sugar cubes off the coffee tray that sat out for customers. I guess that makes us two peas in a pod.

2. Isabel has been rather pre-occupied with the toy catalog from Target. The other evening, she was reading it to herself and LOUDLY naming all the items she wants. At first I didn't think much of it, until I heard her say - in an even louder voide - "Do you hear that???" I asked what in the world she was doing, and she sheepishly replied, "talking to Santa." One of the two items she is very clear in wanting is an Easy Bake Oven (surprise, surprise), but it is labeled for ages 8 and up (she just turned 4). Anyone have any experience with this? Would it be OK for her?

In other happenings, Brian has been on vacation for most of this week, which has been heavenly. We have done a whole lot of nothing exciting, just hanging out and spending lots of time together. It has been fantastic. One evening we had a roarin' family game of Yahtzee; Connor got really into it!

We also spent an evening sitting in the dark telling ghost stories; the children have been REALLY into telling ghost stories lately. Connor instructs us all to sit in a circle in the dark, and we take turns passing around a flashlight; whoever has the flashlight gets to be the ghost-storyteller. Lucas took his first turn last night, and his story went like this: "Once upon a time there was a scary ghost. Once upon a time there was a scary black cat. Once upon a time there was a scary mummy. Once upon a time there was a scary bat. The end." I also love how Connor has taught them to each pause in the middle of their stories, and flash the light into each person's face while eerily counting, "one... two... three... four!" I don't know why they do this, but it amuses me.
Connor then entertained us with a flashlight light show, which Brian actually got some super cool photos of (these were all simply him waving a flashlight around at super fast speed):

9 comments:

Kristina said...

Cute aprons! So much fun to have a little twin. And yay for vacations! Especially Stay-cations! Love the ghost stories. Hmmm, I wonder where they got that from? (Grandma's house???)

Susan said...

I LOVE the aprons! So cute. I don't have an easy bake oven, but from every other friend I know who's gotten on for their kid says that it's never been used more than once. Another idea might be to get her her own baking tools - like a fun colored set of measuring cups, spoons and bowls to use when she's helping you! Too fun!

Anonymous said...

Fun times. I am glad she likes the apron :)

Amy said...

Cute stories! We haven't done Easy Bake; I always wanted one as a kid but never got one. Addy loves to look at toy catalogs too. I let her circle what she is interested in and she ends up circling everything! Justin has eleven days off starting on Friday and I am so looking forward to it!

The Calverts said...

Darling aprons! Great post. I was obsessed with my easy bake oven when I was a little girl. I think I was 6 when I got mine. They probably say 8 because the lightbulb gets so hot that it could burn a child who isn't careful.

taradon said...

Haley is obsessed with cooking and baking as well, so she is getting an Easy Bake Oven for Christmas even though she's technically too young. I think that as long as she's not using it unsupervised it will be fine.

Kristi said...

Mother/Daughter aprons?! I love it!

We haven't played Yahtzee in ages, we need to pull it out again, so fun!

Pink Mom said...

How cute - I love aprons!

Paula said...

Love the aprons, so cute. I want to know what you were making, it looks good. Enjoyed the pictures as well.