Tuesday, November 10, 2009

And the days go by

Blogging slump. Yep. I'm in one. But I will endeavor to get out of it.

Two weeks ago - the day Brian and I turned 35 to be exact - we got a pretty significant snowfall, which prompted a snow day and snow play. We had a lovely time playing in the snow, which in typical Colorado fashion was mostly gone within 2 days, just in time for Halloween.

We had a lovely birthday dinner that evening, decided to go out as a family. My favorite part of the evening was when they brought out the complementary birthday dessert, molten lava cake. They set it down in the center of our table with 5 spoons. Lucas instantly yelled "MINE!" so loudly I'm fairly certain the entire restaurant heard him, and grabbed the cake so fast the rest of us just sat in stunned silence for a bit. We collected ourselves and explained that we all had to share it, and he curtly replied, "I not sharing" while he attacked the cake on two fronts: with his hand, and a spoon. The rest of us finally got in on the action, but he often fended off our attempts with his spoon, almost a jousting of sorts. Brian recalls that each time he broke off a piece of the cake, Lucas would have swiped it before Brian could eat it. If I'd only had a camera/video of the incident. It was classic. I'm sure it was much more entertaining to witness in person, but I wanted to record it for my memory. And yes, I am surviving 35 thus far. :)

This is for Grandma. Connor was talking to her on the phone the other day and telling her about a spaceship he built out of Legos. She asked us to take a picture and post it so she could see it:

Dancing with the Stars came to life in my living room last night. It was quite the show; at least my dancers wore clothing. Isabel asked me if she looks like Karina Smirnoff. Then we had a talk about dressing modestly.

Pretty much everything about Lucas is cute. Especially his little feet tucked under his bum when he sleeps. I love this about him.

I've read some really good books lately, all good in different ways.

There was the delightfully charming and engaging, in addition to shedding light on a region affected by WWII that I was not familiar with:

and then there was fascinating, unbelievable and inspiring, a delve into a culture and region I find truly fascinating (still bemoaning the fact that I was too sick to attend the book club discussion on this one!):
then there are the Pulitzer winners I've read back-to-back the past couple of days, both somewhat to largely disturbing but rendering me completely unable to stop thinking about them:

Can you believe the hype leading up to New Moon? Wowsers. I'm not a Twilight fanatic - but also not a hater - but I will fully disclose I am looking forward to the private screening party next Friday evening complete with Team Edward/Team Jacob buttons and door prizes. If nothing else, Taylor Lautner is H. O. T. HOT. For this reason I will be sporting a Team Jacob button.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post. So much going on right now. I can't believe how many books you have been reading!

taradon said...

Love the birthday cake story! And I will definitely join you on Team Jacob. :)

Ash Savage said...

Ha Ha! That's a great reason to wear a Jacob button - I hadn't considered it. You're right, he's much cuter than the guy who plays Edward. See you there!

Ashley said...

I just love you Melissa! Happy Birthday! I guess you should have gotten your OWN molted chocolate cake. Hopefully Lucas left you a few crumbs! You were dearly missed at book club. And i, too, am looking forward to the private theatre showing of New Moon. I can't decide, though, if it's better to be in the same room with screaming teenagers or screaming women!!! :)

Paula said...

Glad you enjoyed the books. I loved the Road and just finished Olive Kitteridge. Glad you have returned to blogging.

Kristi said...

My goodness, check out that storm! In October too?! wow.

Loved Guernsey... so much. I'm scared of your "heavy" books. I hate having my bubble burst. ;)

I'm glad you are out of your blogging slump. (?) Your blog is one of my faves.

Amy said...

I am totally in a blogging slump! I have never gotten on to Twilight ... but that is all the YW talk about. Glad you had a nice b-day!

The Frosts said...

You are back! I too am in a slump. Must be all the hype of one holiday over and not a lot going on in the month of Nov. Maybe? Your blog still isn't pulling up in my reader for some wierd reason. Anway, I LOVE your book reviews. I will add the ones I haven't read to my list. I can always count on you for a good recommendation. Love the dancing with the stars pictures. I could be a ballroom dancer with how tiny she is for sure! I'm excited for New Moon too. I am team Jacob all the way and I too have the hots for Taylor L. even if I am old enough to be his mom! So glad you're back!