Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Club S.O.S, and YUM

This summer, the kids are part of Club S.O.S.; SOS is for Summer of Service. Basically, a bunch of kids/moms from the wards in our area get together once a week throughout the summer to do age-appropriate service projects. It is such a great idea, and we are excited to be a part of it. We did our first Club S.O.S yesterday. We met at a park and assembled thank you gifts for the librarians at our library (cookies in cute bags with a sticker that said something about thanks for all you do, from Club S.O.S.), and then the kids wrote/colored thank you cards for the librarians. Red is our club's signature color-
We delivered the goody bags/cards to the library, and the elementary-age children then helped the librarians assemble the Summer Reading Program prize packets. Connor enjoyed doing this, and did a great job.
We have been trying to teach our children about the importance of serving others, and I love this opportunity to do weekly service projects that are geared to them; other projects throughout the summer include park beautification; military care packages; decorating meal bags for the terminally ill; hospital bags for children; singing to seniors; helping a family in need; and an "unbirthday party," making birthday bags for needy children. Connor and Isabel are so excited about Club S.O.S.!

On a side note, I just had to share my new lunch favorite: take a multigrain bagel, spread with low-fat cream cheese, add a slice of juicy, ripe tomato and a few red onion rings, and then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Oh my, it's unbelievable fabulous. I seriously have been having this every day for lunch. And I don't even feel guilty about it!

9 comments:

Kristina said...

Fun club! You gotta love service and serving. And that lunch looks just scrumptious! I have been LOVING fresh veggies for lunch. I have been stuck in the tortilla wrap stage, but I may just have to give multigrain bagels a try!

taradon said...

Club SOS sounds like such fun! And a great way to teach the kids about service.

The Easton Family said...

What a great idea!!! I SO want to steal it and start one here...hmmm. I've been trying to be more organized this summer with our activities, and included in our list was trying to incorporate some service projects...this would be perfect!

Kristi said...

Great idea! Love that you are teaching your kids to serve. Genius.

ps. your lunch share is decadent! tfs!

Lara said...

What a great club- a fun way to teach the importance of service. Yay for that!!!
The lunch idea looks delicious! I am always looking for new ideas-

Jim and Kathy said...

What better thing could children be taught in this self-centered world than to "serve one another"

Anonymous said...

What a great club! Super fun idea.

Ashley said...

Love being a part of S.O.S.! And I'm gonna make myself one of those bagel sandwiches tomorrow- my mouth is watering!

The Frosts said...

This is an amazing idea! Oh my gosh, how I wish I could have my kids involved in something so wonderful! Your lunch looks awesome - i will for sure have to try it!