Thursday, May 14, 2009

At week's end

Random posts are good, I've decided. I like reading 'em, and I like writing 'em. So, from the week...

-I realized I never blogged my Mother's Day. It was great. Because Brian and I share the same birthday, we have started to put a lot of emphasis on Mother's Day/Father's Day, as it's really the only day we get to ourselves, celebratory-wise. Brian made some delectable culinary creations for me, including a fantastic stuffed omelet with fresh berries for breakfast, and spicy shrimp for dinner (fiery hot, and delicious!):
And for dessert he baked a pan of my mom's famous from-scratch mint brownies. It's a layer of super dense brownie, covered in a layer of mint creme, drizzle in melted chocolate and butter. Brian colored the mint creme layer purple for mother's day; they looked fine in person, better than in the picture. These are one of my all-time favorite desserts:
The kids were so sweet to me, too. Connor told me he was going to be nice to me ALL DAY since it was Mother's Day. Isabel said she, too, would be "nice to me for Mudder's Day, without any fuss and without any fight." Seriously. And it almost happened, too.

I also got a little gift from each of my family members. Connor insisted on a candle for me (surprise surprise, Mr. Candle Boy). Lovely new scent, White Citrus:
Isabel wanted to get me some "pink flowers mixed with red roses" and this was accomplished:
I got a great family crafts book from Lucas, and a new atlas from Brian. Seriously, I am a geography nerd. I read maps and atlases for fun frequently, so this was a very thoughtful gift.

- Is there anything cuter than a little boy in overalls? I think not. Especially this little boy.
They hold up even when they're hard at play-

- I am rather pleased with the lineup for the American Idol final. It's been a good season, methinks. However, and I know I am going to sound really old here, but what is up with acts like Lady Gaga and Katy Perry? I simply don't get it. You?

- New York and Company has some mighty pretty baubles right now in lovely colors - and I am a color girl. Here's a sampling:
I'm not generally a pin girl, but this could persuade me-- I have been listening to my Fleetwood Mac 25 Years The Chain box set all week. LOVE Stevie Nicks and the Mac. Love. Really, I love most 70s-ish singer/songwriters: Jackson Browne, James Taylor, Cat Stevens, Bob Seger, Bob Dylan, John Denver, CSN, and so on. But Stevie and the Mac have always ranked very highly with me. Brian and I saw Stevie solo in concert right before we got married, and then went to a Fleetwood Mac concert shortly after Connor was born. But, oh, to have seen them in their heydey.
- Isabel is gearing up for her dance recital on Saturday. Today, they had a dress rehearsal performance for some senior citizens. This is their "It's a Small World" number, wearing some sort of heritage costume (Isabel is Irish)-
And a sneak peak of her costume for "On the Good Ship Lollipop" (her favorite):
Seriously, the girl loves an audience. She is a performer at heart. She is all smiles during her recitals, can't stop talking about how much she loves that big stage. Today she told me that she would love someday to get some "big huge pom poms and dance on a stage for everyone." Truly, I don't even think I've told her that I used to do that! We must share the same performance soul.

- Field trip fiasco: Connor had his final kindergarten field trip today, to the zoo (I couldn't chaperon this one). Shortly before they were to leave, I got a call from the school nurse. She starts off saying Connor is fine - always love that introduction - but his teacher (Mrs. P we'll call her) was showing the parent who would be responsible for Connor's group, how to use the EPI Pen in case of emergency. Well, Mrs. P thought she had a training EPI Pen instead of the real thing, and inadvertenly injected herself with it! Mrs. P, who was on only her 2nd day back after maternity leave, had to go to the doctor to get checked out, and the school had to send an attendance clerk on the field trip in her place, which delayed the start of the trip a bit. And I had to rush our EPI Pen from home to school to get it to them before they left. And now I have to drive Connor to and from school for the rest of the year (to be fair, we have one week left of school) so I can sign our EPI pen in and out each day and share it with the school. Mrs. P seems fine. I do hope that lovely quarter-size blood stain on the thigh of her pants comes clean.

7 comments:

Kristina said...

What a week! Seems like you had a pretty great Mother's Day. Nice job Brian and kids! I don't know if I woul like sharing my birthday...I like being special alone! As for Idol, I just really like Adam. He is crazy and eccentric, but a really good singer/performer. And I, too, am too old for Lady Gaga and the other one. Who the heck are they? Strangely, Ted knew both. 5 years is a big difference, I suppose. Good luck tomorrow, Isabel. You sure are a cutie!

taradon said...

What a great Mother's Day! Sounds just wonderful. You and Aaron should talk... he also reads atlases and maps just for fun.

Karl said...

What a beautiful Mother's day. I love that you use that for your extra special personal very own day. So funny about poor "Mrs. P". --Jen

Unknown said...

Love reading your posts! They are great! I can totally relate to them! From field trip drama, weird AI guest singers, and beautiful jewelry! Love that blue bracelet with the flowers! I might have to go get that soon! Also, Lucas is a cutie in overalls! What a sweet kid!

Amy said...

I had no idea you loved maps! I read them too! And Lucas is uber cute in overalls! Trevor outgrew his last pair, but I am thinking he needs another pair. I just rummaged through and picked out anything that wasn't pink from Addy's old clothes for him to wear this summer.

Lara said...

Where do I begin? Looks like a great Mother's Day! I love Lucas in overalls- it is such a little boy thing!
The Idol finale will be fun, but I liked Danny more than Kris. I agree with the AI guests- I must be getting old.
Good luck Isabel! I love the flower hat!
And the field trip- what can I say? Poor Mrs. P!

Kristi said...

I'm glad you were pampered for Mother's Day! miscellaneous posts are my favorites too, and this one was a winner. I love hearing about the little details of your lives. Have a great week!