Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Lucas turns 5

Lucas turned 5 on June 10! Is this one really off to kindergarten in 2 months? Wow.

He wanted a pirate party, so on Saturday we threw open the Howell Cove and had a fun parrrrrrrty. My kids seem to think that every birthday needs a pin the something on the something, and Lucas wanted to play pin the parrot on the pirate. Righty-o. I turned to our resident artist, AKA Brian, and asked him to draw something that would work. This is what he came up with, just by looking at a picture on the computer. What talent!

As the kids all arrived, we had printed off parrot templates and let them color them a they liked, and then we played the game. That's a lot of colorful parrots! They kids loved that they got to take home their parrots.


Then I read one of Lucas' books to the kids. It is so darling: At the end of the story, the children playing pirates find that the treasure map led them to a treasure chest filled with chocolate chip cookies and sweet notes from their moms. I had asked each mom to send along a love note to their child, and while I was reading the book, Brian and the 2 older kids hid little individual bags for each child filled with mini chocolate chip cookies, gold coins, pirate tattoos and the notes from their moms; these were their take-home goodie bags. I loved reading all the heartwarming notes the moms wrote to their kids; the kids were beaming as we read them. It made my day. (but this is the part where I make my confession, that I totally forgot about writing a sweet note and hiding a bag for Lucas, and when all the kids were inside reading their sweet notes from their moms, Lucas was out in the backyard sobbing b/c he couldn't find his bag. Yea... he didn't have one. I totally broke my birthday boy's heart. Major oops. I totally apologized and explained what happened, and then he was fine. My bad.)



Then, because it was super hot, we gave the kids some fun unstructured outdoor water play with our pirate ship water table and sprinkler. Lots of happy, wet kids.




I had put up a few decoration, and made a pirate ship cake. It was so simple and turned out darling! Especially love how it looked with the candles lit, coming out the side of the ship like cannons.




He opened presents - with gusto!


And did cake and presents. We all sang happy birthday to Lucas in pirate speak. The kids loved it, so awesome. It was a great party. He was thrilled.


Here he is on his actual birthday. Such a handsome boy. I will never be able to withstand those eyes of his.

Ready to open his family gifts: a new video game, Play doh, Transformer stuff, and these Incredible Hulk fists, which he is so in love with. Look at that tough guy face! I love his inner tough stuff.


We love Lucas dearly. He is hilarious, kind, loving, smart, lovable, imaginative and dear. He does have a quick temper - we don' see it a lot, but when we do, watch out! He loves video games, coloring/drawing,  creepy/spooky things, playing with friends, going on adventures, using his imagination, building Legos, going to preschool (before summer hit), and is really excited to go to kindergarten. Happy 5th birthday to our amazing boy!

No comments: