Sunday, July 5, 2009

Red, White and Blue

We had a nice, low-key 4th of July. We stayed home and did our local festival - with free hot air balloon rides - and parade. Connor and I had a fun, although slightly bumpy, balloon ride. The kids loved exploring all the booths and watching the parade. Here are some images from our day. Yes, Connor is being the llama. And then he is chatting with a fireman; that boy is a rescue hero in training.
Later in the day we had a fun family BBQ, with lots of patriotic music. Moment of truth: Lee Greenwood's Proud to be an American brought tears to my eyes yesterday, especially as we watched the video. Am I alone in this? We have really tried to instill a sense of patriotism in our kids, helping them to understand the freedom and blessings we enjoy as Americans.

Looking for a patriotic-inspired read? May I recommend two:

Just read 1776 for book club. It was interesting to learn more about all the events that transpired in that most challenging yet inspired year.

And my favorite, Flags of our Fathers. I first read this about 10 years ago or so for a book club, and have re-read it a couple of times. It is the beautiful, heart-breaking, sad, inspiring, amazing, true story of the famed flag raising photo on Iwo Jima in WWII, and the personal stories of the 6 young men who were in the photo. The book was written by the son of one of the flag raisers; throughout his life, his father would never talk about his experiece being in the famous photo. Only after he dies does his family learn more about his heroic role. I cry throughout the last part of this book every time I read it.
I am so grateful to live in this country. Hope you had a good Independence Day!

8 comments:

The Easton Family said...

I love that Isabel's eyes are the same color as your necklace in that picture of the two of you. You are not alone in the teary-eyed patriotism either. As I sat in Sacrament meeting singing the Star-Spangled Banner I started out being frustrated that we were not singing it up to the correct tempo. But then I focused onthe words...I love the other verses to that song!! and before I knew it, BOTH Evan and I had tears rolling down. We love this land.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun day. We missed you guys out here.

taradon said...

What a fun day! I love that song - it always makes me tear up. And thanks for the book recommendations; I'm always looking for the next good read.

Lara said...

Sounds like a fun 4th! We had a great time celebrating, as well.

Mom H. said...

Happy Red, White & Blue to everyone! Patriotic songs, etc always make my heart swell with pride & joy, and mega gratitude for all those in our lives (past, present & future) who have given so much to preserve our freedom. I watched the movie (musical) of 1776 again this weekend. A great show giving lots of insight into the steps leading up to the eventual signing the Declaration of Independence. Hooray for those people of vision!
Love,
Mom H

Kristina said...

Happy 4th! What a great day! I love Lucas's (How do you spell that???) shirt. I always cry on the national anthem. I can't wait for Dec. 2011 for Ted to officially be released from duty. Way to celebrate our independence.

Kristi said...

Good celebrating, looks like it was a fun and memorable day. Free hot-air balloon rides?! How cool is that!

Ashley said...

FREE hot air ballon rides! Awesome- bummed we were out of town! Love the pic of you and Isabelle! Very cute!